Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fantasy No.1

To my friend...enjoy, savor, immerse!

Picture this:

You are with your husband in front of his parent's house. He takes your hand and you walk together up the steps to the front door. You stand on the porch. It's cool in the shade. A distant wind chime sprays the silence with a cascade of melodious rings, then falls silent with the wane of the soft breeze.

You don't enter the house. Rather, your husband reaches out and touches the doorbell lightly. He squeezes your hand. You feel the moisture from his palm against yours. His hand is warm...a snug blanket over yours.

The door opens. His father surprised, opens the door wider. His mother comes up from behind, motioning you in. Your husband holds up his other hand as if to say, "no, thanks," like one who refuses a piece of cake.

He says, "Dad, mom, I have something to say. This is my wife whom I love. We are one body, one person. She is flawless. Anything you say against her, you say against me. Any praise you have for me, is shared with her. And there's something else I want you to know. I have enough love for all of you. You are my parents and I will never stop loving you, no matter what you think of me or my wife."

Then your husband lets go of your hand, steps halfway into the door and gives each of his parents a long tight embrace. Your father-in-law's thick fingers pinch tears away from his eyes, and he looks up using gravity to hold back the rest. Your mother-in-law lets go of your husband's shoulders and dabs her nose with a tissue produced from her pocket.

Your husband turns back to you, seems taller somehow, takes your hand, and you walk back down the steps.

"...a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh." Gn. 2:24

If there are any other women who benefit from swimming in this, sinking your teeth into it, savoring it, becoming intoxicated with it, please enjoy...and let me hear from you!

P.S. To my own husband (and all his parents): Please know this is NOT written in relation to, nor about you - - this is written for a friend. That's all.

No comments: