Tuesday, February 17, 2015

A Poem For My Husband

A Poem, You Want?


How can a cloud write
A poem to the sky?
A reef write
Lyric to the ocean?
As a cloud isn’t made by the sky,
But water;
And a reef not made of the sea,
But bone;
So I am in you,
Not of you
And I am made alive by you.
You.
My place.
My purpose.
My potential.
Only you and no one else.
In you I am the me intended.
For, could a cloud fly under ground?
Could a reef be a home, a refuge for so many
Anywhere but the ocean?
And you,
How empty would be the sky without clouds?
And dead the sea without a reef?
You may not ‘need’ me
But are made whole and delightful, and life-giving
With me - and no one else.
I delight in you and am made alive
Only in you.
You delight with me and are made alive
because of me.
Bringing renewal to each other each day;
Yet enduringly, everlastingly steadfast;
We are always the same
To those who gaze up with squinting eyes and awe;
And to those who smile down and wow
Through the glass bottom of a boat.
We are us in this world
Because of you,
Because of me,
Because we love.
And for that I am forever in love with you.


A poem, you want?
Don't we live in one?


No comments: