Monday, January 31, 2011

Just Send It

I have been struggling with the thought of sending and/or wiring money to my homeless brother. I know I have urged all of you to do it - to face the challenge of non-judgemental giving by sending my brother money via Western Union as he has asked. But I am caught in the tangle of wanting to give blindly - biblically - as we are called to do by Jesus - [sic] 'give in a way that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing'.

I want to do that, and yet, I feel like Christ is not actually calling us to give blindly, but more so in secret - so as not to make a display of giving.

Which leaves me at the question: Do I give him money knowing it is just going to be wasted? Cause it will be wasted. And, is that act just enabling his weak heart to continue a life of homelessness? And if so, so what? Maybe that's just his life and I am being called to support it. My job should be to help someone in need.

Which brought me to this: I have offered my brother $10 per page if he continues to write in his blog about his life and experiences. I figure, this will be like a 'job ' for him in that he is earning his money...but he is still able to do what he loves - write to his family, and remain free on the streets.

What do you think? He has not yet taken me up on it. But this should be easy money for him, don't you think?


No comments: